Board of Directors (click to see list)
- Wayne Bradley
- Chris Carter
- Janet Fairbanks
- John Gower
- Marvin Haave
- Murray Kennedy-MacNeill
- Don Munroe
- Iris Reamsbottom
- Bridget Rivers-Moore
Who We Are
World Community is a Comox Valley-based organisation (est. 1990). We are a community of advocates working to foster a greater awareness of the social, economic and environmental consequences of human activity at both the local and global levels.
The organisation’s flagship event is BC’s longest running social justice documentary Film Festival, presented annually in Courtenay and several other communities through the World Community Traveling Film Festival. As World Community’s primary educational tool, the film festival screens current documentary films featuring the major emerging human development issues in our changing world.
World Community was an early pioneer in importing and selling fairly traded coffee in our community, and has used the resources from this social enterprise to support primary health care promoters in Nicaragua and El Salvador. We have been the leading promoter of the concepts of Fair Trade in the Comox Valley.
We are always on the lookout for community development opportunities.
What We Do
- Annual Film Festival – BC’s longest running social justice documentary Film Festival presented annually in Courtenay.
- Film Series - World Community presents regular screenings of noteworthy films in the Comox Valley community. You can view the latest screenings by clicking here…
- Travelling Film Festival - Through the hard work of dedicated volunteers and coordinators, the World Community Film Festival is annually presented in several other communities. Although these festivals vary in size, they all contribute to World Community’s aim of encouraging ongoing education.
- Film Library - at The Bayside Café, 2760 Cliffe Ave., Courtenay.
- Fair Trade Products - We sell Coffee, Tea, Chocolate and other products.
- Primary Health Care Projects in Nicaragua.